Table of Contents
How to Lose Weight in 2017
More and more people deal with weight problems, most of them being on the overweight side. The causes of gaining weight are various and the most popular ones are unhealthy foods, sweets as well as a sedentary lifestyle, just to name a few. Many people interested in shedding extra pounds want to look and feel better. Besides the pleasant visual effects weight loss triggers, it is important to reach a normal weight because extra pounds mean higher risks of developing many health conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and sleep apnea. Now, the weight loss methods you can go for are various and we dedicate today’s post to the ones that prove to be the most effective or better said, the combination that has triggered the desired effects in so many cases.
How to get started
The first thing to do is to scan your current lifestyle and see the things that might contribute to those extra pounds you want to rid of. It is of utmost importance to set realistic goals. Losing a significant number of pounds in a brief period of time is something doctors do not recommend.
Then, see your health care provider and nutritionist. It is of utmost importance to check your health and see if there’s any underlying health condition that could determine your overweight. Thyroid problems are known to lead to weight changes. Once you make sure there’s no major health problem, you can see your nutritionist and have a custom-made diet. You will most probably receive recommendations regarding the servings and foods you should have in order to stay full and so on.
The right gym program
Once your doctor gives you the green light, you can also have a custom-made gym program. Your health care provider might even recommend you moderate physical activity in the first few weeks. The general guidelines say that you should have at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity every week. Now, this might change depending on your age and health conditions.
If you can go for more than moderate physical activity, make sure you create a custom-made program with your doctor and trainer. This way, you can be sure that your weight loss method will get you the results you want and you will avoid any complications determined by improperly performed and inappropriate exercises.
Keep an eye on your weight loss goals
Once you embark upon the weight loss journey, you should keep a food and pound diary. This way, you will see if you accomplish the goals you’ve set. You can even tweak them if necessary. Additionally, you can use a pedometer to know how far you’re walking.
What to do when it gets tough
Losing weight is not just a matter of the food and exercises you have. It is above all, a matter of mind, will, and motivation. There will be times when it will get difficult and staying motivated will turn into a real challenge. There are some things you can go for in order to complete your weight loss program and get over these difficult moments.
- Try to set a specific goal like walking a 5k or make sure a friend will exercise with you. This will keep you motivated.
- Don’t skip sleep. Make certain you have enough sleep, otherwise you may have difficulties in sticking to your diet since too little sleep will increase the levels of an appetite-stimulating hormone called ghrelin and decrease the levels of the hormone that keeps us full known as leptin.
- Studies have shown that using small plates and tall, narrow glasses can help you eat and drink less without you being conscious of it.
Getting the right gear
Again, the food you will go for, the type of exercises you will have, the gear you can use, all depend on your particularities. Still, there are some general gear recommendations to make.
- Fitness trackers – there are several trackers you can use in order to track calories, steps, and other metrics. They will help you monitor your weight loss process and results. Seeing positive results will most probably boost your motivation.
- Running apps – if you want to keep track of the miles you conquer, then a running app is the one to install on your device. Such an app will help you log every mile and keep track of your best times.
- Calorie counter apps – these apps are among the most used since they will help you keep track of the calories the foods you eat have. This way, you will know what to eat and what to avoid in order to meet your daily goal.
What about weight–loss supplements?
Now, there are all sorts of views on supplements and their efficacy and side effects. We recommend people to go for natural and healthy weight loss methods and not for pills that promise to deliver miracles overnight. Still, there are studies that have shown certain supplements can indeed help one lose weight and people who’ve seen results, even if moderate when taking supplements. If you want to include supplements in your weight-loss program, it is best to ask your doctor about this. Then, ask yourself if losing weight is worth the side effects supplements can lead to.
There is no best weight loss method or one that includes just healthy eating or just exercising. Losing weight is a combination of several elements: custom-made diet, fitness program, and positive thinking. Remember that losing weight must be a slow process that won’t trigger health complications. Have patience and set realistic goals even if it will take more time than you’d like. Then once you’ve reached the weight you want, it is of utmost importance to keep it that way. This means you will still have to pay attention to what you eat and how much physical activity you get. Going back to your old habits might lead to the extra pounds you worked so much to shed off.