In an era of rapid development of innovative technologies every parent eventually faces the problem of screen addiction in children.
It is believed that most of this dependence is formed by children from wealthy families whose parents are successful, educated careerists. The problem with them is that they do not have time to communicate with their children. The children of these parents are not restricted to using a PC, tablet or TV. Children in such families are sufficiently developed and intelligent, but they use their free time unwisely.
According to psychologists, this has negative consequences on their mental development.
- Children who have screen depending avoid reality, they lose interest in everything that does not belong to the virtual world.
- These children can not deal with difficulties. Indeed, in the virtual world to get something, you just need to click the button on the keyboard. As a result, in real life they lose the desire to exercise and show some effort to achieve their goals. They want everything to be fast and get it in a moment.
- In a child’s mind the boundaries between good and evil are gradually erased. Moreover, the child becomes aggressive and cruel. Gradually, the child will no longer distinguish what is happening on the screen of what may be in real life. Therefore, it does not regret out a acat who is tormented by his friends and has no compassion for those who are weaker.
- The kids addicted to the screen create conflicts in the family. If parents do not set limits for surfing in the beginning, then, all attempts to limit would end with a scandal. The child begins to negotiate, to charge conditions and even blackmail their parents. So parents begin to feel helpless.
- For these children the circle of friends is narrowed, they become isolated and closed, fear to real life.
- During the role play, the child selects the image of its screen characters and begin to identify with the character. There is a change of its own “I”.
- Children’s Health: deteriorates vision often occurs and curvature of the spine, seriously disturbed and nervous system.
Parents should seriously think about how to help their child deal with this problem. From the beginning, the child must know clear and strict rules about using the TV and other gadgets. In addition, the child must have alternative occupation , enroll your child in club interest, so it will have less time on the computer and in front of the TV, and on the other hand, will communicate live with friends who enjoy the same hobby.
Parents should set an example. If you sit at night watching TV for hours or interact in social networks, it will be difficult to convince the child that excessive viewing of TV shows and computer games is bad.
Tablets and smartphones may cause screen sightedness of children. Shortsightedness caused by electronic devices can be true and false.
30 cm is the distance at which children should keep their eyes away from the computers, tablets and mobile devices. However, this distance is shortened by at least 6 centimeters. Besides that hold them too close, children use mobile devices and while running, playing, moving, resulting in eye strain and appears sightedness.
What to teach our children in order to protect them from the screen sightedness:
- Do not cross the safe distance of 30 cm.
- Do not use mobile devices more than 2-3 hours a day.
- Doing eye exercises every 20 minutes using a tablet or other mobile device. Blinking of the eyes is a good exercise for this purpose.
- To use the device in a sitting position without changing the visual focus.
- Do not use mobile devices when moving or walking.
Young children grow and develop with great speed. During the first 2 years of their life their brain triples in size. During this time the child look at the world around it trying to speak and walking.
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under 2 years of age to avoid exposure to any kind of mobile technologies. Young children are not the only ones for which the academy recommended to keep away from modern technologies. Children at 3 to 5 years is not recommended to use more than 1 hour a day mobile devices, and for those at 6 to 18, it is advisable not to use gadgets more than two hours a day. Why?
Problems with excessive use of mobile devices
There are several reasons why you should pay attention to the excessive use of technology today. Some studies on the effects on children of the use of mobile devices are borrowed from the practices that kids watch TV. TV today, however, is somewhat passive and highly replaced with much more interactive devices, which can act at times more dangerous than television.
Some of the real concerns are the following:
- Being overweight is a huge problem among children in many developed and developing countries and the frequent use of mobile devices only contributes to this problem. Children should be encouraged to go out and explore the world around instead of sitting in front of a mobile phone, tablet or TV.
- Many children are struggling today with concentration and do not give due attention should be given to the world around them. Frequent use of flashy and distracting mobile devices does not help them focus on the real life.
- Problems with sleeping are now becoming more common in many preschool children and there is concern for the health caused by the fact that children stay up late in front of small screens.
- There are many other concerns of using mobile devices that include exposure to radiation, mental illness, aggression and even addiction.
All this is enough to encourage parents to give serious attention to their children and to consider how to be used by kids the modern gadgets. Perhaps the problem that they should think about is that these devices exclude their children from others and the real life. Now these little gadgets actually divide people. It is time to solve this problem. When these problems are in our daily lives so often it seems that the digital world continually irradiates more people on their way to total exclusion from the real world.
Many people, already adults has happened today to sit at the computer, watching TV, smartphone and stand for hours, days, months, playing various games. Even in the late hours of the night, and when you lie down, these colorful paintings and melodies do not let them sleep.
While some people in the world are calling for a ban on the use of mobile devices for all children below 12 years of age, others tend to believe that the decision was not in the massive ban, but rather to encourage parents to work with the children. They must be willing to talk to their children and encourage them through wise decisions to pay attention to their abilities.
Time spent with family is sacred. Often sit to eat together, hold away the smartphones and tablets when you are at home. Try to talk to each other and create communicative and warm environment.
Create other activities that encourage children to play sports, to play those old games on the table. Walks in the park and play some games out.
Think seriously to put some kind of blockade of your Internet at home. Talk to your children how to be responsible on the internet because they can have access elsewhere to an unfiltered connection.
Now, when you see what are the problems with the mobile devices, the future of your children depends on you, help and protect them.